The Bubble in the Sea

Man does not know what he is.
He does not know
that he is a drop on the surface of the ocean,
and yet an ocean itself is his innermost part;
that there is nothing that is not within him.

Outwardly he is smaller than a drop.
inwardly he is larger than the ocean.

When I open my eyes the outer world
I feel myself as a drop in the sea;
but when I close my eyes and look within,
I see the whole universe
as a bubble raised in the ocean of my heart.

In the drop, the sea is as small as the drop;
in the sea, a drop is as large as the sea.

This life is like a bubble in the sea.
the bubble is existent and yet in reality non-existent
when compared with the sea.
And yet we cannot say the bubble is non-existent,
for it merges in the same sea in which it once appeared;
so nothing takes it away but its own source and original being.

There cannot exist two beings, God and oneself.
Oneself, as one knows the self, is a limited part of being,
like a bubble in the sea that has no existence of its own.
It is only a temporary condition.

The wave realizes "I am the sea,"
and by falling into the sea,
prostrates itself before its God.

The bubble does not last long;
it soon breaks, but with its break it joins the mighty ocean.
So with us.
When by warmth of heart we can break our limited self,
we merge in the One, the unlimited.

It is the surface of the sea
that makes waves and roaring breakers;
the depth is silent.